Friday 6 July 2012

Picasso to Warhol

Today I went to the Art Gallery of Western Australia with my BFF SandyPants and my son to see the Picasso to Warhol 14 Modern Masters exhibition. It was awesome to see their work up close and to discuss the paintings and sculptures afterwards, and to contemplate the influence they have had on my artwork.






It was interesting to see the evolution of Picasso's work.

Picasso, Seated Bather, early 1930
Matisse's art:

Matisse, Goldfish and Sculpture, 1912



Fernand Leger - I would love to take this painting and make it my own - repaint it in my style:

Leger, Woman With A Book, 1923
Just as Miro did with this painting:

 
Miro, Dutch Interior, 1928
Based on this painting:

Hendrick Sorgh, The Lute Player, 1661

Jackson Pollock - what a lot of fun he had expressing his emotions - not illustrating them...

Jackson Pollock, There Were Seven in Eight, 1945
Romare Bearden's collage:

Romare Bearden, Patchwork Quilt, 1970
I loved the colours in this Map by Jasper Johns:

Jasper Johns, Map, 1961
Andy Warhol's Campbell's Soup Cans were interesting to see close up, all individually made, pencil lines still showing and all slightly different...

Andy Warhol, Campbell's Soup Cans, 1962


Andy Warhol, Self Portrait, 1966

At the end of the exhibition there are postcards to fill out - Dear Picasso, Dear Andy - and they have displayed some from children mostly.  I took a postcard to fill out at home and will pop it in the box when I return with Neil Elliot and the ladies from Wednesday's Workshop.

If you ever get a chance to visit an art gallery esp with such famous works in it then do go.  I didn't like all the artwork that I saw today but I can appreciate and learn from viewing them.

1 comment:

  1. My faves are Picasso (I never bore of looking at his paintings & reading about his life) & I love the colours in Jasper Johns painting too, what an interesting composition (o: Really enjoyed seeing all these photos and hearing your comments, thank-you Michelle. I hope it makes it's way to Melbourne (o: xxx

    ReplyDelete

All comments moderated. Please leave a comment after the beep....beeeeep...